|In this special Roundtable episode, Irene Watson and Victor R. Volkman discuss book contests and how to make the most of your marketing dollars. Irene Watson is the managing editor of Reader Views, a book review and author publicity service located in Austin, Texas. Irene is well versed in today’s topic Choosing the Right Book Contest as this is her 5th year in running an awards program. Victor R. Volkman is the owner of Loving Healing Press, Modern History Press, and the newest imprint Marvelous Spirit Press. Together, these imprints have produced more than 100 titles in five years in paperback, hardcover, and eBook editions of same. This evening we chatted about the how and why of book contests including:
- What’s the purpose of entering a contest?
- What kinds of contests are out there?
- How are contests judged?
- How do I enter a contest?
- What can I do with the awards?
- What about poetry and short-story contests?
- How do I choose a category that I can win in?
- Local, regional, vs. national contests: is bigger always better?
- What’s a reasonable fee for entering my book?
- What about contests where “everyone is a winner”?