| On October 5th, 2011 Victor R. Volkman and Donna Winters spoke with writer, broadcaster, and historical fiction writer Susan Violante about incorporating research from oral history into fiction and non-fiction contexts. In 2010, she published her Young Adult novel Innocent War: Behind and Immigrant’s Past — Book One. She currently works as the Editorial Assistant for Reader Views and First Chapter Plus. During the course of her writing she used tapes her father recorded as well as one-on-one interviews to flesh out the events, characters, and emotions that she hoped to capture in her book. In this wide-ranging discussion, we covered those issues and much more:
- Researching for your book
- Benefits of Interviewing as a research tool when writing any story
- Different Interviewing tools and techniques.
- Quick tips to interview like a professional.
- How to use your story’s research to Market your book.
- Creating Podcasts using recorded interviews done during story research.
- Using your contacts generated through story research to promote your book.