|On October 15th, 2009 Irene Watson and Victor R. Volkman spoke with greeting card and gift industry maven Kate Harper. Kate Harper started her line of humorous greeting card from a hobby of making greeting cards for friends as gifts. Over the next 15 years, Kate’s turned her hobby into a business, manufacturing and shipping cards to over 2,000 stores, including Barnes & Noble, Whole Foods Markets and the Papyrus chain. She informed us on key areas of getting started as a writer or self-publisher of greeting cards, including:
- Card terends: research, seasonal cards, occasional cards, and publishers
- What subject areas and categories to focus on, how to stay organized
- Test marketing your cards and card verse.
- Seven most common mistake card writers will make
- Why competition in the card business is vastly over-estimated